Meteorology and Climate Science
Structure of the Undergraduate Programme in Meteorology
- The undergraduate programme in Meteorology and Climate Science is of four (4) years duration. The students are awarded B. Sc (Meteorology & Climate Science) after successfully completing the programme.
- From year one to year two, the students take the same common core courses in physics (PHY), chemistry (CHEM) and computer science (CSM) with the physics students; in year two (2) however, they start to take a few courses in Meteorology.
- In addition to these, they do Communication Skills (ENGL) and French for Communication (FC) in year one.
- In year two, they take English Literature (ENGL). However, in year two, French and Economics are electives (that is, they choose one of them).
- In year three (3) and four (4) they take mainly meteorology and climate science courses.
Job Prospects for BSc (Meteorology & Climate Science) Students
They can get employment at the following places:
- Ghana Meteorological Agency (GMet), Accra and its branches throughout the country
- Ghana Civil Aviation Authority
- Hydrological Services Division
- Ministry of Agriculture
- Forestry Commission
- Fisheries Sector
- Marine Sector
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Ghana Standards Board
- Water Research Institute
- Telecommunication Services Companies
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
- Ghana Atomic Energy Commission (GAEC)
- Ghana Education Service
- Some NGOs and the Private Sector
- Private Enterprises/Entrepreneurship
- Ghana Armed Forces /Police Service, CEPS/ Immigration, etc.
- Ghana Health Service
- Public and Private Universities